PET Scan Results & Chemo Round #5

PET Scan 

April 13, 2017

Thursday, 12:30 pm

I went in for my second PET scan on this past Thursday. This scan was different from my first initial one. With my first one, I pretty much knew that they were going to come back with the news I had cancer. It was the last test I had taken to finally help prove their concern before they sent me for my biopsies. So, I was calm and willing to wait for that news. This second time around, I was so freaking antsy. I wanted to know that day, but NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! I had to wait till Tuesday and when you are as impatient as I am, that was killer.

With a PET scan, they give you radioactive liquid via IV. With that you have to sit for one hour and 30 minutes. Like I said, the first go around I was relaxed and that resulted in me sleeping through that whole wait. This time around, I could not sit still if my life depended on it. I tried to sleep, that did NOT happen. I watched some movies and that still did not help the time go ANY faster. I played some games on my phone and time still inched by. I was also hungry because you can not eat 4 hours before the scan, so that only made me even more impatient and time took even longer to pass, man.

The scan itself takes about 20-30 minutes of me having to lay there COMPLETELY STILL. The first time, easy peasy, I slept through the whole scan lol. I do not remember the first scan at all. The second scan, I tried to sleep, but I knew I was so close to being done and so close to being able to eat that sleep was not happening this time. GUYS! When you have to be completely still that is when your WHOLE BODY DECIDES TO ITCH. Oh it was horrible, I was trying to think of every possible way I could get those silly scratches without moving. You are strapped to the bed thing for the scan and it is close to impossible to get a scratch without moving, ESPECIALLY one on your nose. I was so thankful when that scan was over, but it did not make the wait for the news any less agonizing.


Chemo Round #5

April 18, 2017

Tuesday, 10:20 am

Chemo days are my least favorite days. I love the people at the office and it’s not horrible, but I just wake up on those Tuesdays and I am just in automatic baby mode. I do not want to go. I do not want to deal with it. Honestly, the worst part about getting the actual chemo is tasting the saline they have to push through my port. It tastes horrible and I think it tastes worse every time I go through another stupid chemo. Haha. When I first get to chemo they take and run my blood to make sure my blood cell counts are normal and then they will start. This time, when the counts came back it was time to hear the PET scan results. Guys, the wait was still killing me. So finally, my oncologist’s nurse came with the results in her hand and a smile on her face.


“The news is good! Your scan came back CLEAR”



I do not think I have ever been more happy in my life. That news was enough to make me want to scream, shout, dance, something other than sit in the chair I was in. I mean how do you not just want to rejoice when you hear such great news.

And then a but came. As protocol and precaution to ensure that my cancer did not return, I still had to go through Chemo #5 and still have to go through Chemo #6. My last chemo will be May 2nd. Following chemo I will have to go through a segment of radiation. How much radiation and the specific location for the radiation is unknown at this point. I meet with a radiation doctor on Monday to get a plan. I do not want my cancer to return, but that does not mean I am not a complete baby about all of this lol. I might be CANCER FREE, but I am not going to completely feel like it until that last radiation. That is when we celebrate.

Following chemo, I do not normally work on Tuesday’s, but I did work yesterday. It was okay as long as I could stay sitting. I always am so out of breath after chemo and if I had to run around at work at all, it was deadly it seemed. Today I am just tired. It seems no matter the length I sleep, the tired does not really go away. It really is annoying. I SLEPT COMPLETEY THROUGH THE NIGHT LAST NIGHT and that NEVER happens following a chemo treatment. It was so so great. I have had some belly aches following this chemo, but it seems the nausea medicine and getting some food in my belly seems to help. Thank goodness for those meds. lol. As of right now, I do not have any finger numbness or mouth sores and that by itself is enough to celebrate. haha!


Mini Hair update:

I have little hairs guys. They are slowly, but surely making an appearance. I can feel these little guys blow in the wind. Teehee.


*I am taking a mini vacation to Nashville, Tennessee. Be on the look out for a post about my experience! I am excited!*


*BIG thank you to all who have supported and continue to support me through this whole journey. I would not be able to remain as positive as I have, if it were not for all of you. I am grateful beyond words. You all are amazing!*





7 thoughts on “PET Scan Results & Chemo Round #5

  1. YAYAYAYAYAYAY!!!!!! This was the best news I had received all day. I’m so so happy for you, Hay! Prayers, faith, and hope help the soul. I love you and I’m so happy you’re getting better. YAYAYAYAYAYAYAY!!!!


  2. Halie! Halie! Halie! Honey, I think I’m almost as excited as you! I’m so happy to hear such good news. Your attitude has been amazing throughout all this. So proud of you God has exciting things lined up for you in your future! You’re beautiful…in and out!!


  3. Praise the Lord for he is good! We continue to love and pray for you from Georgia you sweet thing! Love you and so thankful for the inspiration you are to so many! Beautiful girl!

    Aunt Debby


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s